home
bio
spec fiction
essays
erotica
reports
KISlist
links
the KIS.list: READING: Tuesday, June 19—Join me!

6.13.2012

READING: Tuesday, June 19—Join me!

Gathering and communing are essential aspects of the human experience. I find that when I gather with others I invariably learn more about myself. I learn more about who I am and who I’m not and who I could be if only I dared. On Tuesday, June 19, I will be joining another writer to kick of the Kindred Reading series in Brooklyn. I hope you will come and bring your energy and good vibrations; I hope you will come and give of your presence and receive whatever ideas or energies are available to you. I hope you will come and listen to Jenn and I share the fruits of our labor, and to witness to the fact that speculative writers of color are here!

Books will be on sale. See details below.

Kindred Reading Series Featuring Kiini Ibura Salaam and Jennifer Marie Brissett

The Kindred Reading Series are literary events that celebrate speculative fiction from authors of color. Each reading features writers of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds who will share imaginative works of science fiction, fantasy, urban magic, and other speculative forms. Join Kiini and Jennifer on Tuesday, June 19, to enter fantastical worlds and witness projections of people of color in the future.

When: Tuesday, June 19 • 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.

Where: Nova Bar, 884 Pacific Street (between Washington and Underhill) • C-train to Clinton-Washington. Walk up Washington two blocks to Pacific Street and you have arrived!

KIINI IBURA SALAAM http://www.kiiniibura.com/ A writer, painter, and traveler from New Orleans, Louisiana. Her fiction, which has been widely anthologized, is included in DARK MATTER, DARK EROS, and MOJO: CONJURE STORIES. Her essays have been published in COLONIZE THIS, UTNE READER, ESSENCE, and MS. MAGAZINE. She lives in Brooklyn. She will be reading from her forthcoming collection of stories ANCIENT, ANCIENT published by Aqueduct Press.

JENNIFER MARIE BRISSETT http://www.jennbrissett.com/ A Jamaican-American-Brit, she is a writer, artist, and former bookseller. She has an MFA in Creative Writing from the Stonecoast Program at the University of Southern Maine and her stories can be found in WARRIOR WISEWOMAN 2, THE FUTURE FIRE, and HALFWAY DOWN THE STAIRS. Her first novel ELYSIUM is currently being shopped to publishers and she is working on her second novel, ELEUSIS. She was the owner of the Brooklyn indie bookstore INDIGO CAFÉ & BOOKS.



Future readings in the Kindred Reading Series Thursday, July 19th - N. K. Jemisin and Daniel José Older Thursday, Sept 20th - K. Tempest Bradford and Ibi Zoboi Thursday, Oct 25th - Linda Addison and Zetta Elliot

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home